Earlier this month the Leader of Gateshead Council, Councillor Martin Gannon and Chief Executive, Sheena Ramsey, wrote an open letter to residents to reiterate the Council's commitment to maintaining the vital Covid-19 response services that have been in place during the pandemic, but also to let residents know that options for a phased reopening of Leisure Services were being considered.
We are now able to share details of which facilities and services can re-open and when:
From Monday 29 March -
- All outdoor leisure facilities will reopen (some with reduced opening hours), including the pitches and athletics tracks at Blaydon Leisure Centre and Gateshead International Stadium for use by structured sports club booking only.
From Monday 12 April -
- The gym at Gateshead International Stadium will reopen to GO Gateshead members.
- The gym at Birtley Leisure Centre operated by Lifestyle Fitness will also reopen.
From Saturday 1 May -
- Reopening of Dunston Leisure Centre gym and swimming pool for public, club and school swimming.
From Monday 17 May -
- The resumption of indoor fitness classes at Dunston Leisure Centre.
Details of opening times, the reactivation of memberships, booking processes and changes to operating procedures to help stop the spread of Covid-19 within our facilities will be communicated shortly. All services will operate with COVD-19 risk reduction measures in place.
The dates specified for the reopening of our leisure centres are subject to change and entirely dependent on our ability to maintain essential frontline Covid-19 response services as well as virus transmission trends, case numbers, impact on NHS services and any emerging variants of concern.
We will continue to monitor the situation and this will inform any decisions about further reopening of facilities.