Privacy notice

Who are we?

Gateshead Council uses your personal data to provide you with the GO Gateshead Sports and Leisure service.

Our Data Protection Officer is the Information Rights Officer at The Civic Centre, Regent Street, Gateshead, NE8 1HH. They can be emailed at

Why we process your data

GO Gateshead Sports and Leisure process your personal data under the Local Government Act 1972 and the Localism Act 2011, and specifically under the Localism Act 2011 Section 1(1) power of general competence. It processes your data to provide insight on the demand for, and use of its facilities and services, to enable funding to be released from the commissioners to deliver targeted services.

Who do we share your data with?

We sometimes share your data with the following organisations:

  • Other public authorities and public partnerships (e.g. councils, schools, NHS providers, Police, government departments) where appropriate sharing is required, for example, safeguarding, or referrals to other services with your consent.
  • Voluntary and non-commercial sector organisations that help us deliver services.
  • Businesses that we contract with to help us deliver services.
  • The partner organisations which commission the services.

We take part in the Cabinet Office's National Fraud Initiative; a data matching exercise to assist in the prevention and detection of fraud.

How we keep your data secure in other countries

We do not ordinarily transfer your data to any organisation in a third country or international organisation (e.g. using Cloud storage). We would only do so if there are appropriate or suitable safeguards in place, and you would be informed of any data transfer.

How long we keep your data for?

The Council is required to keep your data for 10 years.

What are your rights?

You have the following rights:

  • To ask for a copy of the data we hold on you.
  • To ask us to delete data on you that we no longer need.
  • To ask us to correct data about you that is incorrect.
  • If you think the data we hold is incorrect, to ask us to stop using it temporarily until it is correct.

You can submit a request for any of these by visiting the Data Protection page on the Gateshead Council website.

In addition, if you provided your consent for us to use your data for non-statutory purposes, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time. To do so email your request to 
Please note however, withdrawal of consent to process your data may mean that you can no longer access the service.

Profiling and automated decisions

The Council does not currently undertake any profiling activities or take automated decisions about you.

Email marketing privacy notice

GO Gateshead always acts upon your choices around what type of communications you want to receive and how you want to receive them. We use email newsletters to keep people in touch with what we're doing, news and events. We aim to keep your data up to date and welcome any updates to your details or corrections to any inaccuracies you may wish to provide.

Tools may be used to help us improve the effectiveness of our communications with you, including tracking whether the emails we send are opened and which links are clicked within a message. This helps us to improve and refine future email marketing around our campaigns and make sure all our emails are relevant and useful as possible.

Periodically we will send you emails promoting aspects of our service, often associated with broader campaign activity. We will also send you our quarterly e-newsletter, helping you keep up to date with:

  • latest news
  • special offers
  • updates on services
  • what's on

If you would like to stop receiving email communications, you can unsubscribe at any time.

How to submit a complaint

If you are dissatisfied with our response to your request you may submit an official complaint. We will review your complaint and respond accordingly. If we do not resolve your complaint you can request an official review. If you then wish to pursue your complaint further, you can do so through the Information Commissioner's Office website.